Wednesday, November 30, 2016

SMT dealer sales service at the corner of Lothian Road and Grindlay Street Edinburgh

How to Find Who calls | Who calls me



Thank you to Brian Alexander for me to send a photograph of a 1952 Vauxhall Velox 53 with whitewall tires I seem to be a good match for the car in this photo.
In the photo sent by Brian, there is a small chrome panel at the bottom of the back door, where it forms the front of the rear wing This seems quite distinctive and can also be seen in the picture above in this page.
This leads me to the conclusion that the car parked outside the SMT showroom in Lothian Road is likely to be a Vauxhall Velox or perhaps a Vauxhall Cresta.
I love a good healthy debate, particularly with regard to cars, along a photo 1952 53 Velox for comparison.
However looking at the attached photo of a Vauxhall Velox, I disagree The car in the photo looks like the car parked in front of the SMT showroom in all of the points above.
I agree with his point regarding the mirrors, I do not know if they were a standard connector or an option and if so, were installed at the factory or dealer As SMT were Vauxhall dealers, car can wait for the climbs.



Brian Alexander, Prestonfield, Edinburgh, November 8, 2011.
Question I have sent an email to Brian Alexander to discover the source of this photo for me to consider whether or not there would be copyright issues to consider before added a copy of the photo on the website EdinPhoto .
Reply Thanks to Brian to answer this question 11 See answer below.
The car outside SMT can be later Velox I think the Cresta had a different color of paint around the chrome side strip to visually distinguish Velox same year outside the car SMT didnt it.
This photo of the original GTS garage SCRAN website.
I experienced problems with SCRAN regarding the dates of some pictures I would not guarantee that the photograph taken in Lothian Road Grindlay Street is dated correctly.



I tried to find out when SMT moved to Earl Gray Street, unsuccessfully There is little in Lothian Road of photography to identify the exact year.
The point is, the Vauxhall Cresta did not appear until 1954 So either we have a bad picture dated, as I suspect, or a car Vauxhall Velox or both - Peter Stubbs We can not have a Vauxhall Cresta 1952 Slightly long winded answer I know, but let the debate continue.
Brian Alexander, Prestonfield, Edinburgh 10 November 2011.
Brian was right to be suspicious of the date given by SCRAN on their website for this photo I also found some incorrect dates on the website SCRAN In my experience, the month and year were generally correct, but the year was not often wrong.
I called today to discuss this Scotsman picture with them and found out that this photo was in fact taken June 21, 1956 and was published in The Scotsman newspaper the next morning.
I have now had the chance to look at documents on microfilm newspaper The Scotsman of 21 June 1956 L see that this photo was, in fact, one of the two photos SMT properties that appear in this document.


The other was the face of the SMT garage and repair depot in East Fountainbridge, but unfortunately I do not find a fifth copy of that one on SCRAN website.
The reason for the pictures in the document was the resignation of the president of SMT yesterday, his position being filled by Scott RN who had ties Atholl development of a company that had discussed the possible sale and leaseback of SMT sales service properties.








SMT dealer sales service at the corner of Lothian Road and Grindlay Street Edinburgh, sales, service, Lothian Road.