Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Why our cars so heavy Bimmerfest BMW Forums

Bimmerfest THE 2016 West Coast



Yes - I know and I love how BMW designs a car that can be so heavy, strong, sporty and yet so effective that I've always wondered why BMW are heavier than most comparable cars and I can say that it is for a reason that I grew up with.
My E90 is heavier than a comparable car, but have you noticed that the fuel consumption is comparable to most other Jap Cars and American you do not know how nice it is to have a car that is absolutely enjoyable driving still safe, efficient, elegant, sporty and safe.
On the other hand my X5 E53 weighs as much as a full size American SUV and it is so much smaller is amazing back in the day when I could take the IRS Section 187 depreciation of the total value of any vehicle on 6005 lbs GVWR - I bought the X5 and took the tax reduction great time, I'm glad I did not buy a GMC Yukon or similar SUV when the section 187 tax deduction was about - I d spend tons of money fixing the car.
For both vehicles, I like to take the 3-liter inline-6 ​​engine 225 HP BMW E53 E90 for two vehicles and a pocket rocket without a light rice burner, know that it is safer than a Jap or American car handles better than a Jap car modded, and gets good mileage than any other car in the same class as the reason why I do not also need the tendency of many current power engines, such as X5 4 8l or 335 engines I6 what these 3 0 liter engines are to me much more than I have to get out of a car.
BTW - for those who wonder why BMW does not make V6 engines because it can be fashionable, I know now - have you heard how a V6 engine seems loud and clumsy as the reason BMW keeps their engine I6 soft and silky around for many years.
What makes German engineering for BMW are BMW I really amazing for what they do - even if they are heavier, I prefer to walk away from an accident than being crushed or thrown into a lighter car, I guess I'm selfish that way - survival instinct.



Last edited by Pat_X5; 17/02/2009 to July 16 Details AM Reason.
More complex transmissions, suspensions, braking, ESC and BSS systems, large wheels, and tire components of the brake system more rotors, brackets, ABS controllers and ESC sensors, bi-xenon and adaptive lighting, navigation systems and more entertainment sophisticated drive, cooled seats.
Considering a BMW E36 in 1998 weighed 3,200 pounds, is a miracle that the E90 sedan increased by only 200 pounds for that we can thank a more intensive use of magnesium and aluminum alloys.
But have you noticed that the fuel consumption is comparable to most other cars and American Jap.
In fact, This is not my first car, including several Japanese, American and even Swedish cars that I have not been able to reach near highway mpg in the city I get around 5-22 19 city, even taking easily as s only slightly better on 19 5 I manage my Jeep in effect, accelerating this additional mass takes over and is not bad MPG is actually what prompted me to start this thread I still haven t been on a road trip, so I can t comment mpg highway.
Hyundai is also known to have cars too heavy for their class, so no, this particular aspect of engineering that I found particularly unimpressive- esepcially after many stages of weight reduction, I'll grant the doesn t Do you feel heavy, but can you imagine how much better it would feel even without additional acceleration and pork mpg city would be particularly enhanced many people complain about the E90's lost tossable feel compared to the E39 and E60 This could be the reason.



BTW BMW uses inline 6-cylinder due to their being inherently well balanced V12 low natural vibration, 4 flat flat 6 are good Similarly Sound is a nice perk, but not the main reason for most other companies have gone to V6 because of its being only 3 and a half long cylinders, and therefore much easier to pack, especially if you want a swoopy hood.
More complex transmissions, suspensions, braking, ESC and BSS systems, large wheels, and tire components of the brake system more rotors, brackets, ABS controllers and ESC sensors, bi-xenon and adaptive lighting, navigation systems and more entertainment sophisticated drive, cooled seats.
Considering a BMW E36 in 1998 weighed 3,200 pounds, is a miracle that the E90 sedan increased by only 200 pounds for that we can thank a more intensive use of magnesium and aluminum alloys.
Transmissions They did it right the Steptronic is only 10 pounds heavier than the stick Suspensions Honda and BMW you MacPherson front, rear multi link Bimmer I imagine is a bit more stout well Brakes I'll give you that weight well spent although if the car was lighter, they could get away with lighter brakes, too ESC SRS weight comparable wheel tires having more than the 17 required to release the brakes wheels and heavier tires is a particularly bad example of 'unnecessary lighting of weight gain should be a small weight gain for the adaptive function of the Japanese electronics cars tend to be heavy on the electronic also, but I'll bet our speakers are few books more seats cooled I do not think that.
I can not answer that with authority, but I bet a good amount of it is in its sound absorbing and damping materials of BMW body have a lot of viscous materials that dampen vibrations of the body If you have already saw a BMW without the seats and you carpet to see what I'm talking about this stuff is heavy, but does its job well, it is very similar to the sound-absorbing material used in high-quality car audio installation called Dynamat as someone one that has just made a European delivery, I can certainly testify that it helps keep the car planted and quiescent feeling at very high speeds, I can not say the same for a Japanese car I've ever driven fast on the track, much less the American car, I do not know this kind of thing would be for all of the weight gain, but I guess its a great p ection - just look at the BMW racing cars course, they strip away these things and they are relatively competitive with other class cars.
Ironically, people like to complain rattles in their BMW, I think part of it is that the noise floor in BMW cars are lower than many other manufacturers, so the rattles are more apparent.



Although BMW likes to brag about their impressive ability to shave the weight of their vehicles, they do not do everything they could easily undoubtedly the exhaust system is proof enough of that ie not exhaust systems aftermarket titanium cheaper can shave more than 40 pounds from the weight of the car, and that art, even retaining the catalytic converters.
Edit oops, this response took me time to type, I just noticed Sath said much the same thing.
Perhaps the sound soundproofing, although my Agreement is also fairly quiet On 3 crashes really much more about the body vibration of rough roads and as if it had less weight in absorbing sound, wouldn rigidity t be so overtaxed in this situation My agreement is quieter in these difficult road situations, but the suspension is much cushier not necessarily a good thing, that doesn t tax stiffness as hard frame on smooth roads of the BMW is certainly quieter but still a once the agreement doesn t have unpleasant noise levels just soft white noise.
It s cool if BMW offerd something like a sport 335i its minimum civic level damping fabric basic manual stereo 4 speakers seats 17 lightweight wheels with non-RFT crank windows tires, no roof of the moon, etc. Etc. They could probably save 3 or 400 pounds and significantly reduce the price to be a real screamer, but of having to worry about a car 34k beat the M3 If you have already made an all-out acceleration with 2 or 3 extra passengers you will get an idea of ​​the potential gains.
I think you will find differences magnified about 5-10x when driving to another poster 120 mph As said, the porkiness notice is widespread in all European brands My other car is a deal, so I know exactly what you're talking about, but keep in mind these cars are designed and built for different driving conditions for the record, my EX V6 Accord many rattles and has for years 2004 as my 96 Agreement before.



Yeah, that would be great effect, and they did almost exactly that to the very limited light E36 M3 production.
I think you will find differences magnified about 5-10x when driving to another poster 120 mph As said, the porkiness notice is widespread in all European brands My other car is a deal, so I know exactly what you're talking about, but keep in mind these cars are designed and built for different driving conditions for the record, my EX V6 Accord many rattles and has for years 2004 as my 96 Agreement before.
Yeah, that would be great effect, and they did almost exactly that to the very limited light E36 M3 production.
- high-strength steel used in several body parts - rear wheel drive rear diff, drive shaft, etc., adds weight - Tons of soundproofing insulation - Air bags everywhere - electronic modules gadgets everywhere - Electric motors everywhere told gadgets everywhere - Sunroof .



I guess this stuff is, with the exception of high-strength steel I didn t realize BMW uses special steel alloys, steel but weighs the same varieties with high strengy cromoly you can use less to gain much weight.
There are really many engines on this car if the windows, blinds, sunroof, mirror adjustment and folding, etc. Yet many other cars have many of the same features now.
Because, all things being equal, it diminshes each dynamic aspect of the car Don t get me wrong- it's still a great car that I just thought of what could be five.
See this editorial on the potential of a book 3000 3-series.
Also, I do not think they put ballast in the back of the car Remember- the front wheels are as far as they can be, and there are some heavy parts on or behind the drum axle rear, fuel tank, diff.



Hi guys Series 3 has almost the same volume and length as civic However, it weighs up to 1,000 pounds more, according to the specifications that many of his pork for two additional cylinders is more than 500 pounds over my biggest 1998 Honda Accord 3000 pounds for a 4 cyl, a few hundred more for the V6 car I know we have rigid chassis, but the old agreement still solid fills and without rattle 165k miles as my 335i weighs my Cherokee- a piece of ruggedized iron.
At the dealership, they have exhibitions about the lengths they went to cut ties weight aluminum and stuff like that engines are aluminum so no Self magnesium is almost as light as a stick So which makes three sets damn heavy for such a small, or the car Can you imagine that a rocket would be appreciated if the same 3,000 pounds as my greatest, much, much wider, much roomier Agreement.
You want a 12 Adjustable seat with heating coils and genuine cow system hide s weight you want a speaker 12 with sufficient amp to drive the 12 speakers weight you want a driver airbag and, side airbags, and side curtain airbag Each airbag can weigh up to 15 lbs You want a glass roof standard glass is heavy want xenon headlights all the lighting and ballast all weigh want turdbo equipment you will need a more rigid and heavy block to begin and many plumbing turdbo and N54 hardware is more than 100lbs heavier than the massive March 2 liters IRON bLOCK S54 You want to run apartments They're a good 3-5lbs heavier than their standard counterparts.
Let a look at each of these individually.
Standard E36 E92 Sport Seats 45 lbs 75 lbs powered That's 30 lbs to 60 lbs x 2.
Speakers 6 speakers against 12 speakers Let's say conservatives and each speaker adds 1 pound for a total of 6 lbs.



2 Airbags front airbag vs. Up to 8 airbags Each bag may weigh up to 15 pounds when all the material that's added 90 pounds.
Set of more ballast Xenon projector is about 5 pounds per side for a total of 10 pounds.
May 13 rotors with associated hardware vs 12 small rotors and calipers 5 lbs for each rotor and 2 pounds each for the stirrups, for a total of 28 pounds.
Just only the obvious things that art 300 pounds that should weigh more E90 than E36 You add the 100 pounds that the N54 is heavier that the E9x platform is only 300-500 lbs heavier despite to be bigger in every dimension, stiffer is a miracle of engineering Not to mention all that s son needed to drive fancy electronics in new cars.
If you are looking for a sports car that is lightweight, BMW has long abandoned this formula.
I do not understand why the weight is an issue - its sturdy well built car - it feels solid and stuck to the ground, it is better in every way compared to a competing vehicle; you need a lot of quality parts to achieve this type of performance, hence the weight of course this car could have been a little lighter by dropping a few pounds here and there but it wouldn t be the same car.



SO a E36 M3 was not a car well planted It was the aluminum control arms It weighed 3200 pounds, made 5 0-60 2 seconds, pulled 89g lateral accel and climbed to ungoverned 155 mph offered a best lap the E46 and there was a spare room full size to start pardon the pun.
It is the safety-related components, gear comfort and traction powertrain technology advanced.
The E90 today contain at least one additional 20-30 extra pounds just in the wiring of all sensors and convenience systems.
So the summary explanation offered there are 20 positions, as corroborated by HACK stands.
The E60 528i abandons a powertrain cradle traditional steel for Alum Alum resulting in the E60 with more comfort and comfort systems security than the E34 525i was introduced in 1989 and weight remained at 3,500 lbs that is amazing.


Hi guys Series 3 has almost the same volume and length as civic However, it weighs up to 1,000 pounds more, according to the specifications that many of his pork for two additional cylinders is more than 500 pounds over my biggest 1998 Honda Accord 3000 pounds for a 4 cyl, a few hundred more for the V6 car I know we have rigid chassis, but the old agreement still solid fills and without rattle 165k miles as my 335i weighs my Cherokee- a piece of ruggedized iron.
At the dealership, they have exhibitions about the lengths they went to cut ties weight aluminum and stuff like that engines are aluminum so no Self magnesium is almost as light as a stick So which makes three sets damn heavy for such a small, or the car Can you imagine that a rocket would be appreciated if the same 3,000 pounds as my greatest, much, much wider, much roomier Agreement.
You mean, why other than the obvious, that the weight is probably the minimum weight engineers were able to design it based on security requirements, characteristics and BMW product management performance that he should have but yes, you are right, a Civic weighs less - WGAS.
Are you suggesting that they are unnecessarily heavy.








Why our cars so heavy Bimmerfest BMW Forums, cars, heavy, another poster 120 mph.