Saturday, November 18, 2017

Mark Twain Quotes on the German language

The Awful German by Mark Twain (audiobook)



Some German words are so long that they have a point of view Observe these examples Freundschaftsbezeigungen Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten Stadtverordnetenversammlungen.
These things are not words, they are processions in alphabetical order.
Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen Alterthumswissenschaften Kinderbewahrungsanstalten Unabhaengigkeitserklaerungen Wiedererstellungbestrebungen Waffenstillstandsunterhandlungen.
Of course, when one of these big chains Grison mountains stretches on the printed page, it beautifies and ennobles that literary landscape, but at the same time, there is great distress to the new student because it blocks his path; - Annex D of a tramp abroad, this Awful German My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person must learn English except spelling and pronunciation in thirty hours, French in thirty days, and German in thirty years, it seems clear, then, that that language should be cut down and repaired if it should stay as it is, it should be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for the dead have time to learn - Appendix D of a tramp abroad, this Awful German Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, which is the last you'll see of him until that it emerges from the other side of the Atlantic with his verb in his mouth - a Yankee in King Arthur's court mastering the art and spirit of the German language allows a man to travel all day in a sentence without changing cars - Chr istian science It is easier for a cannibal to enter the Kingdom of Heaven through the eye of the needle of a wealthy man it is for any other foreign reading the terrible German scenario - photo autographed Ed Pötzl, February 1898; Notebook, 1898 A dream that I was trying to explain to St. Peter, and I do it in German, because I do not want to be too explicit - the speech of Mark Twain, 1923 The Germans are very fond of wines Rhine; they are set high bottles, thin, and are considered a pleasant drink vinegar are told by the label - A Tramp Abroad A dog is Hund der; a woman died Frau; a horse is das Pferd; Now you put this dog in the genitive, and is it the same dog he was before No, sir; it is Hunde; put it in the dative and what is it why it is dem Hund Now you snatch in the accusative and how is it with him why he is den Hunden But suppose it happens to be twins and you he must pluralize this reason, they'll swat this double dog around in 4 cases until he think he is an international full-show dog while I own person does not like dogs, but I wouldn t treat a dog like that- I wouldn not even treat a dog that way borrowed well, it is just the same with a cat they begin to him healthy nominative singular and just watch, and they sweat it in through all 4 cases and 16 s and when she limped through the accusative plural you would recognize it does the same to be Yes, sir, once the German seizes a cat, it is goodbye chat that's about the amount of it - Mark Twain book in first time a victim had to sit with a toothache, and he put in the time to invent German - Notebook 14, January 1 1878 1877-7 never knew before what eternity was is because it is to give some of us a chance to learn German - Notebook 14, 11 1877-7 1878 I do not believe there is anything in the whole world that you can t get to Berlin unless German - book Mark Twain circumstances and atmosphere still have much to do to lead a conversation, especially a German conversation, which is only a kind of insurrection, anyway - the US provider, etc. Meisterschaft in three acts is terrible shock to the intellect, is German; you want to take in small doses, or first you know that your brain work together, and you feel slamming in your head even as butter shot - A Tramp Abroad I would not deprive you of your food or your clothes or your umbrella, but if I took your German on I would take but I do study more, - I gave up - Letter to Mr. Bayard Taylor, reprinted in American literature, markh 1936 keep reading in an excited state of igorance, like a blind man in a burned house; wading around but immensely unintelligently concerned; do not know how I got there and can t find the exit, but I'll have a booming time for myself do not know what a Schelgesetzentwurf is, but I still as excited above and also worried about it as if it were my own child, I just saw on the Sch; is my daily bread, I would t have the issue settled for anything in the world - Mark Twain, a biography, I can understand German, and the madman who invented it, but I better talk to through an interpreter - a Tramp Abroad It is not like learning German, you ruminate along, in a groping, uncertain path for thirty years; and finally, as you think you got, they spring the subjunctive on you, and you are Non I perceive quite clearly that the great mercy of the German language is that you can drop it and does it hurt you nothing like this feature for you to participate strictly business - Taming the bicycle the Germans inhumanely cut their verbs now a verb has a hard enough time of it in this world when it all together s downright inhuman to divide But that's exactly what the Germans are they part of a verb and put it here, as a game, and they take the other side and laid there, as another challenge, and between these two limits they just shovel in German - Mark Twain Speeches, literature disappearance I do not speak German well, but several experts have assured me that I write like an angel perhaps, maybe be so-I do not know I have not done knowledge among the angels that comes later, whenever ple ase Divinity, I'm in no hurry - Concordia speech, February 11, 1897 the Dutch food poetry is too smooth and blubbery; it reads like gurgling butter milk from a jug - Responses to correspondence How delighted I am when I overhear a German word that I understand - Letter W D Howells, May 4, 1878.
G nther W Frank Genossensch -Str 10 75217 Birkenfeld im Schwarzwald Deutschland.



Senden Sie Bitte Hinweise und Verbesserungsvorschl age Korrekturen, Hinzunahme von interessanten links by e-mail k.








Mark Twain Quotes on the German language, mark, twain, German language.