Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Vintage 70s Stereo system

Heathkit Vintage AR-14 stereo receiver in the solid state



Confessions vintage stereo equipment 70 a scroungers How to find, sell, fix and enjoy the best of Vintage Stereo by Mark Gallagher feedback questions.
Vintage system above the Marantz receiver, turntable Thorens TD-165, TD-126 platinum Thorens, speakers JBL L96, and Akai GX-266D reel to reel of the cassette.
Project The initial objective of this project was to recreate a stereo system similar to the one I had in college in the early 70s and later sold when I needed money after components college stereo 70s were large and heavy with metal facades and lots of buttons, switches and lights visually, these systems were well above the prior black, digital reading system today and these systems were strong - designed to play rock music of the time.
Now there is an ongoing hobby to find, test, repair and enjoy stereo equipment from that era.



Marantz 2270 receiver around 1973 with 70 watts per channel Roger Arizona was the original owner and he generously offered to give me the receiver, we have developed a plan where I pay to have it delivered to a technique to restore this nice receiver.
My friend - technology, lubricated all orders, replaced a few caps and replaced the paper diffuser.
Diffuser also called paper vellum replaced dial for illumination.
After the lighting of the dial picture is much improved without replacing bulbs More information, google the diffuser paper next receiver vintage.
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable - a new hub sold on Amazon and other retailers I love the look of this turntable I bought the gray color and connected to my amplifier Sansui AU-717 It's the looks awesome.
JBL speakers L96 - a large speaker late 70s rock found them at a garage sale near my home - a great find.



Royal Zenith Transoceanic 1000 since the early 1960s, I found this cool shortwave radio at a garage sale It was covered with dust and the outer casing was a little rusty surface When I got home, I opened it and was perfect inside Replaced batteries and it works fine what fresh radio then and Zenith was a great company of Chicago.
Sansui AU-717 integrated amplifier and 717 TU-1977 tuner This amp is one of the best sounding amps I heard I had restored with all new ceilings and other works it looks fantastic with my speaker rectilinear speakers.
Sansui 4000 Receiver 1970 45 watts per channel and one of the sweetest sounding receivers I've ever heard that I use with my Dynaco A-25 speakers below.
Dynaco A25 speakers these are relatively rare version, the A-25VW, made in the US in late 70s, I replace the fabric of ugly brown grill with the new grill cloth Parts Express These sounds identical to regular A25, one of the best speakers of his time at an affordable price.
These are rare JBL speakers in 1970, found the premises of the original owner, summer 2011.



JBL Aquarius II 1970 tweeter in the front and two medium and low at the rear.
Klipsch Speakers KG4 late 80 s speaker with 3-way passive speaker in the back These speakers superior sound The KG4 are the radar for many vintage stereo collectors and sell for much lower prices the line Heritage but I think they sound as good as the most collectible models.
Thorens TD 126 with electronic cartridge Stanton 681EEE late 1970 s.
Note, I had served Evan and replaced the stock white bulbs that illuminate the square control buttons with blue LED giving the turntable a modern look, I think it is very cool.
Recently chose this from a second hand store, a disc changer taken from old and the price of the console was 4.



Cobra-Matic disc changer Zenith console made around 1962 by Voice of Music Corp I plan to restore, replace the needle and use it to stack 78s and 45s like the look and design of this disc changer.
He is an IBM Selectric II Typewriter I found at a garage sale for 10 and it works great, I love the look and feel of this machine.
I am a good typist and feel of this keyboard is soft No, it has little practical use, but I love this puppy.
The famous IBM impactor and auto-correcting - the white correction tape on the picture above actually takes the type of the page to make corrections - an intelligent advanced on the old white method to correct a page typed.
There is no return Music seems richer, fuller, more beautiful when in gear using tubes.



Fisher 50b tuner 1961, I have chosen this on Ebay It's completely restored and ready to work, I always wanted a fisherman that I am a happy camper.
245A amplifier driver pulled from a console and Fisher tuner 50b this pair looks fantastic together The driver is ready to me from a friend.
Current project - record some band classic albums on the coil on tape deck coil 70 s.
Akai GX-266D Reel platform tape reel - Originally sold for 900 in late 70s, this platform is large and excellent sound recordings in both directions and has great, sounds of rattling sound when you press the white big game record buttons meters I paid 320 for this unit Ebay in 1999 and paid another 100 to a local dealer to bring it up to spec recordings that sound very nice unit .
AR 4X speakers around 1968 purchased for 20 of Craig's List, April 2008 They were dilapidated and colored a little strange grayish brown color I decided to sand the cabinets.
Start sanding cabinets for restoring unfinished look of original pine.



These are the respecter - removed and cleaned the original grill cloth with soap and water restored to the original pine cabinets, it was the cheapest model 4X sold within 60 s end they sound great.
Recently I watched the vintage radios of the 50 s and 60 s.
RCA Victor AM Transistor Radio, Globe Trotter, model 3-8 RG-81 transistor radio Picked this up at Goodwill for 99 cents like the look of this radio and it works It dates from the mid-60s.
Zenith AM FM radio Tube Model 1950 s G730W This radio has 7 tubes and works fine I use it as a daily runner to listen to talk radio The human voice has a warm tone with this radio I paid 7 this radio to a local Thrift.



Marantz receiver when I recently restored wooden wood finish with Howard Restore-a-finish - walnut.
My beloved 2330b Marantz receiver to 1979 There are no best receiver but I burned the output transistors test my Infinity speakers, so I had eight replaced by good technology pictured above, the transistors are in the middle of the heat sink to the bottom of the photo, I originally bought this receptor on Ebay in 1999 to 175.
This Marantz product 130 watts per channel view statistics on this receptor originally sold in late 70s, this little dog weighs 48 pounds and has the classic Marantz metal face, a metal button or a button for all conceivable function, blue lights, and it came with a walnut wooden crate.
Sony Trinitron TV with 19 made in 1982. My last good will to find 20 I clean the outside and inside and this thing looks like a new love the clean design of this TV's image quality and color excellent.
Lava lamp beside my double 1228 Turntable and Carver preamp Garage sale purchase, in September 2007.
Allison CD-8 speakers around 1985, three speakers path with woofers pointing upwards purchased at a local garage sale in August 2007 40 These speakers sound great Roy Allison designed a large number of speakers AR most Popular in the late 60's and 70's before starting his own speakers Allison company are the radar of many antique collectors, so you can sometimes find cheap they were speakers upscale when sold in the 80s.


The convex and tweeter drivers midrange CD-8 Allison These speakers play with exceptional dispersion.
Straight III speakers highboys about 1975 Picked these up to the local garage sale for 50 in September 2007, the Great speakers, full range, the coast is beautiful, I love these speakers I was replaced the capacitors in the crossover with the help of a friend Bob and they sound now like new - big sound, but smooth and precise.
Speakers III Straight highboys with grill cloth taken out - four tweeters, a mid-range, woofer and a 12 port.
Sherwood receiver S-7100 from early 1970 I love the look of this receptor picked it up at a garage sale sponsored church July 15, 2007 and I lubricated the controls and switches with DeoxIT, clean the outside and inside and it looks very good love these receptors Sherwood vintage.



Thorens TD-165 turntable early 1970 made an agreement with Evan Madison, Wisconsin I swapped my speakers Infinity RS-II to Evan and took my old Thorens and completely overhauled, repaired, lubricated and updated the turntable and installed a cartridge 10x Dynavector it looks fantastic and now my main turntable connected to my Carver and straight loudspeakers electronics.
BW speakers DM14 circa 1979 I sold them on Craig's List to 225 in August 2007, they were great speakers, but I have too many speakers at this time, so they had to go beautiful cabinets wood and 3 drivers I bought these on Craig's list in 2006 to 250.
My best find 2007 - Altec 601-8D 12 speakers duplex in Acousti-craft kit cabinets, around 1975 Fantastic sounding Altec period, it was a very lucky discovery for me bought at an estate sale Wheaton 150 for the pair in June 2007.
Back of the cabinet is opened to see the Altec 601-8D driver and crossover green metal box, a port is seen is a Acousti-craft kit cabinet that would be separately purchased and assembled by the owner I added some gray weather stripping so the back panel would fit better.



This is the speaker in the cabinets above - the duplex Altec 601-8D duplex means that the tweeter is combined with the speaker in one speaker.
JBL speakers L26 Decade list bought these Craig 50 for the pair in July 2007.
Decade L26 JBL speakers with fabric grill - s two way speaker mid-1970s.
The woofer surrounds had to be replaced I found a repair kit on Ebay for 25 and replaced them myself.
Recap speaker JBL L26 I replaced the old plug in the crossover with new ceilings - a Solen 8 2UF I let the old hat and just stick the new cap on top and cut and weld the two son connected to the plug stock to new highs this recap enhances sound definition and Habitability JBL speakers and the total for this parts parts Express project was about 15.



Klipsch Speakers Chorus around 1989, I sold them on Craig's List for 480 I love these speakers, but I have too many speakers at the moment they were connected to my Super T amp and CD player.
Klipsch Chorus with fabric grill, three way speakers, two horn drivers and 15 subwoofer - a great speaker.
To original 1972 Grand Advent speakers in hickory cabinets I sold them on Craig's List to 100 in August 2007.
The drivers in both directions of the great Advent speaker, the speaker is not original, but a replacement built by Jenson exactly the same characteristics as the original advent woofer tweeter is fried egg d 'origin.



Sherwood S-7200 of about 1972 receiver picked this on Craig's List 40 May 2007 and I had completely maintained by good technology, including the alignment of the FM tuner It works great early 70's Sherwood receivers have a warm, tube - like sound, although they are solid this unit uses about 35 watts per channel.
1228 Dual Turntable - this unit dates to late 1960, I do not need a second hub, but I could not help bidding on this device when it came to eBay in 1999 I like the look and feel of these old Duals I put a new pen on the Shure M91ED cartridge supplied with the turntable.








Vintage 70s Stereo system, vintage, stereo, system.