Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Venlo incident (1939)

Venlo incident



German agents attract an agent of British intelligence, Captain Payne Best, into a trap using as bait mysterious nonexistent generally said to be the leader of a resistance movement in Nazi Germany that the trap was sprung on neutral ground in Holland, raised an outcry best was accompanied by a fellow officer Richard Stevens SIS staff and Dutch intelligence officer Dirk Klop best and Stevens were imprisoned until the end of the war.
November 1939 Throughout the Hague, we noticed that military precautions have intensified and been successful at every roadblock and barrier tank Even now, between Venlo and our coffee, we were stopped twice for the first said the sentinel something to have orders not to let cars pass, and although Klop has shown his authority, insisted that we must first go to the pantry and talk to the sergeant responsible both Stevens and I think also felt well and hoped that he would return with the news that we could go further; but within minutes, he was with us all is well The N C O had a message for me that was called through the office proceed.
The second sentry did not stop us, but only made signs that we must drive slowly, he was stationed at a bend in the road just before entering the straight line along which we had a view of border somehow or another, it seemed that things were different from what they had in previous days Then I noticed that the German barrier across the road had always been was now lifted closed; there seemed to be nothing between us and the enemy My imminent danger of feeling was very strong, however, the scene was quite peaceful No one was in sight, except a German customs officer in uniform strolling along the road towards us and a little girl who was playing ball with a big black dog in the middle of the road before the coffee.
I must have checked my speed instead for Klop called, go ahead, everything is fine I felt rather like a fool so nervous I let the car drift slowly to the front of the cafe on my left and then reversed in the Parking on the far side of the border Schaemmel building stood on the veranda at the corner and motioned that I took to mean that our bird was inside I stopped the engine and Stevens came out right My car had LHD I had tortilla clear of the wheel and followed when there was a sudden noise of shouting and shooting, I looked up, and through the windshield saw a large open car drive up corner street until our bumpers touched it seemed to be packed to capacity with men Two rough-looking were perched on top of the hood and fired machine guns on our heads; others were standing in the car and on the step, all the screaming and brandishing pistols Four men jumped almost before their car was stopped and rushed towards us shouting hands.



I do not remember doing out of the car, but by the time the men reached us I certainly standing next to Stevens, on his left, I heard him say, Our number is Best's last words we had exchanged more than five years Then we seized two men pointed their guns at our heads, the other two handcuffed us quickly.
I heard shots behind me to my right, I looked around and saw Klop He had slipped behind the guise of the car door which was left open it diagonally away from us towards the road; running on the side in large limits, shooting with our captors as he ran, he looked graceful air with both arms extended - almost like a ballet dancer, I saw the windshield German car splinter into a star, and then the four men standing before we started shooting, and after a few steps Klop just seemed to crumple and collapse in a heap of dark clothing on the grass.
Now, march shouted our captors, and goad us in the small of our backs with their guns, they sent us, with shouts of Hup Hup Hup along the road to the border Passing the coffee front, I ' January saw my poor held by the arms by two men walking along the frog It seemed that his chin blushed as suddenly as we were at the border fence in black and white closed behind us we were in Nazi Germany.








The Venlo incident (1939), Venlo 1939.