Friday, February 2, 2018

Tell me about highmileage BMW s Ars Technica OpenForum

High Tech Cars of CES 2016 | HowStuffWorks NOW



We have an old now and very soon my family will need a third car 16 years I have a thing for breaks, and I also have a requirement that my cars are manual transmission two things really limit my options.
I'm seeing a few mileage highest BMW 3 Series 5 manual transmission cars for sale on some automotive Web sites I've never owned a BMW, but I have heard that the maintenance costs are high, and I do not want to end up in a car that's money pit that I'm not strong on cars, my current Acura TSX has 100k miles on it and honestly looks almost new what kind of potential problem areas have -I look for in a BMW 100k mile, and are the maintenance and repair costs really as high as I've heard they are.
Oh boy I predict the horror stories I personally think that the maintenance costs are exaggerated, but that is just through the experience of one of my friends have one of the rooms and the service didn t seem more expensive than any other brand.
One thing I do know is that they aren t going to be great in the region O. MPG
Personally, I've always loved cars, but they seem to be crazy rare.
I would always buy a 89-91 318 so I could be considered myself crazy.



I drive a 2000 323 MPG city car is not fantastic, but I live in Washington DC Nobody gets good gas milage of hybrid with average I probably around 18mpg city and 32mpg get about on the highway.
Yes maintenance can be expensive, but also keep in mind that things like oil changes are 10-15K miles every 5 Also, I found that BMW's are the easiest cars work on myself for everything I ever owned German Vee layout design well thought of most things, easy to access and treat Take the distributor so you will cringe, but if you like working on cars yourself, parts aren t worse than many other cars and it's easy to work on.
Depending on the year, I would specifically check the rear sub-frame and suspension on a car he was a weak point in the early years of the E46 and wagons with extra weight in the back were probably more prone to sedan problems also cut, the module that controls the fan tends to be flaky on some - I mine have replaced twice symptoms can vary from no aka no heat AC fan to fan turning at random times aka coming out to a dead battery in the morning after the fan ran up the whole replacement night costs about 85 and about 45 minutes of work to access it under the dashboard, had to pull the glove box to access other than that, all the usual general thing mine about 130,000 miles on it now the suspension is due for replacement, but the car is moving ho nnêtement large When the time comes to replace it, I am not hoping that I can afford to simply replace with a new BMW.
It's actually not too bad in the department of MPG armwt I could swear when I looked at the numbers most of them were things like 15 Highway 22 city.
Also find an independent mechanic who specializes in BMW, or at least European cars that I bet you can find someone who is great with and cheaper then a BMW dealership.
It's actually not too bad in the department of MPG armwt I could swear when I looked at the numbers most of them were things like 15 Highway 22 city.



Also find an independent mechanic who specializes in BMW, or at least European cars that I bet you can find someone who is great with and cheaper then a BMW dealership.
Well I went down this path was happy with it until I find the dealer, I trust, while hatred he used to pay for the third party parts and charge me for the OEM factory and he was at the dealership because he was doing the same thing with fixed sigh.
This why now I do most of my own Don t want to pay the dealer, don t really trust anyone else at that time.
Re MPG oddly enough, the slightly larger engines seem to get a little better MPG real world scenarios with 328 s friends get 1-2 mpg better than I 323 s and 325 s have basically the same engine with minor differences, but even 2 5l displacement, against the two most potent and 8 3 0 engines.


I always like to drink beer and Ars Praefectus Subscriptor.
This article Automobile Magazine scared me to the idea of ​​buying an old luxury car 5-10 years instead of something new with this quote.
It is a well-known maxim, but it must repeat a 70000 car can depreciate eighteen large, but it is still a car whenever 70000 breaks anything.
I have friends to drive a model early 2000s BMW hand-me-down I don t recall for sure, and it is not always in the store, but they had a number of questions because they the 'Some got are typical maintenance brakes, etc. And some of it is flawed electrical work they've also had two of their electric window motors die, including a rear window that is stuck in the bottom right position after having a child all this is more expensive than comparable work on my Honda.



How big are the cars that you see listed in I think 10 15k, which drives me to recommend something like a Fit or Yaris instead assuming a hatchback is close enough for a car to your liking If I am thus overestimating the costs and employees are closer to BMW or under 5k, so I'm not sure what to suggest Forage Camry or Accord I do not remember when they got dropped and they re probably more difficult to find in a manual anyway.
The only change list with a stick I found in a very short local search was 325xiT 2003 with 78k miles for 12k.
How big are the cars that you see listed in I think 10 15k, which drives me to recommend something like a Fit or Yaris instead assuming a hatchback is close enough for a car to your liking If I am thus overestimating the costs and employees are closer to BMW or under 5k, so I'm not sure what to suggest Forage Camry or Accord I do not remember when they got dropped and they re probably more difficult to find in a manual anyway.
The only change list with a stick I found in a very short local search was 325xiT 2003 with 78k miles for 12k.
Do not argue your point, but comparing a Yaris or Fit to a BMW wagon is a kind of non-sequitur one hand, you have a mode of conveyance, FWD with cheap interiors, the other, you have a known for its car handling and performance in the low-end luxury department might as well take a VW bus there for review while we're at it.



FWIW, the price you see is probably a little high, but baseball stadium.
I paid 12K for my car, in 2004 when he was 4-5 years old with 60,000 miles Nothing too expensive for some time, had two sensors that were to be replaced now, 130,000 miles, he hasn t need anything whether the shop in more than two years, although I mentioned, I spent some 85 secure the fan controller, and I replaced the mat because I wanted to.
I d hesitate to buy one that had 100,000 miles or more, but a clean example of 60K or so I have no qualms about older models pre E46 are actually probably a little more reliable, just because they had fewer electronic products.
My E46 M3 zero problems with mechanical failure and was especially brakes and fluids No expense unforeseen non-wear 62k to 130k miles, when it was totaled after being hit in the rain But when I got road damage as bent control arm, it was not quite cheap to fix the six-cylinder E46 are well known to be extremely reliable, but once they get over 100,000 miles, you really need to know that they were supported well.



Yes maintenance can be expensive, but also keep in mind that things like oil changes are 10-15K miles every 5 Also, I found that BMW's are the easiest cars work on myself for everything I ever owned German Vee layout design well thought of most things, easy to access and treat Take the distributor so you will cringe, but if you like working on cars yourself, parts aren t worse than many other cars and it's easy to work on.
Getting into the head of a German automotive engineer is a very simple task, it usually comes down to ensure as many steps as possible to involve one or more specialized tools that look like normal tools but out so that the normal tools wreak havoc also make expensive to buy Then make the pieces sanely prices and step back and enjoy the schadenfreude a term coined by a German car owner in 1962.
If you enjoy working on cars then find a forum, find Ask yourself common problems and repair solutions if you are willing to make the necessary incantations to correct Otherwise, if you have no specialized competent mechanics in your vehicle in the area, not just Dis.
I always like to drink beer and Ars Praefectus Subscriptor.



How big are the cars that you see listed in I think 10 15k, which drives me to recommend something like a Fit or Yaris instead assuming a hatchback is close enough for a car to your liking If I am thus overestimating the costs and employees are closer to BMW or under 5k, so I'm not sure what to suggest Forage Camry or Accord I do not remember when they got dropped and they re probably more difficult to find in a manual anyway.
The only change list with a stick I found in a very short local search was 325xiT 2003 with 78k miles for 12k.
Do not argue your point, but comparing a Yaris or Fit to a BMW wagon is a kind of non-sequitur one hand, you have a mode of conveyance, FWD with cheap interiors, the other, you have a known for its car handling and performance in the low-end luxury department might as well take a VW bus there for review while we're at it.
Yes, I could have been clearer, but my view of the OP is that I wanted something in wagon form factor and ii with a stick shift to add to the fleet of the family because they have a new driver and I made iii a price range that I thought was close to its target, I certainly wasn t trying to assimilate new or slightly used econo hatches with high performance cars odometer on anything either, but these three criteria If the OP said I want a sporty, fun truck with a stick shift I would not have responded to these suggestions.



Note doesn t give a personalized title Ars Praefectus and Subscriptor.
Tribes transplanted Southerner in Seabrook, MD, United States.
I own a BMW, and I intend to get rid of it before it is a high mileage car is an old joke of never owning a German car outside warranty-- and I am not sure it is actually a joke.
That said, there may be exceptions, but most of these exceptions will assume you do the work even yourself-- things easy and cheap to hurry gets expensive if you take it to a shop they see on the roundel nose and dollar signs light in their eyes, or perhaps signs or euro, given the vintage in question, anyway Deutschmark, I digress.
Some things will be a little more expensive-- for example, many want BMW engine oil 60 weight, which, of course, is not as common as you find 20 or 30 weight of spec for most cars today and is therefore more expensive than most, they take a lot of it, further increasing cost-- but you're still talking about an oil change for $ 40 instead of the 20 he who isn t really that obnoxious.
I know which end of a key is and can do a lot of maintenance and small repairs myself, so I would not worry too much at all an E36 or E46 Touring 100-150k mile than either 3 Series 1991 2006 I know that less than 5 series, but anything in this range should be well Honestly, earlier is also fine, but you'll not find a form suitable for reasonable money in 1996 include the OBD diagnostics -II, which means 15 ELM327 adapter Amazon you will get the codes with an Android device assuming you got one already, making it much easier to understand what's wrong.



But I would consider t even if I should have to take it to a mechanic for everything and anything newer than 2006 is, you start getting into the electronics for which the secondary market and the enthusiast community still developing solutions for, so I'd be a bit wary.
Another car that I like actually, but the Jetta we had before buying the BMW was an absolute maintenance nightmare was a lease, so all I can remember was under warranty, but have aged to take every 6 weeks or more shop, or have not begun a cold winter morning with less than 20K miles on it BMW was actually a model of reliability in comparison.
I know single data point and all that, but it soured me on VW's for a while.
Anything older than 09 has a completely different engine powertrain at least to TDI is concerned.



Foreskin Fanatic Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius ​​and Subscriptor.
These kinds of messages son make me wonder when I expect my car to start to become unreliable.
Sometimes the engine vibration at idle seems odd.
I think you may have problems with all vehicles Add a bunch of miles for them and of course progressively more problems may occur, I do not think this is unique to BMW or German or any brand.



In my experience, I have seen good years and bad years for vehicles in our family but I do not see anything unique to a particular brand - we encounter costly problems with all kinds of vehicles because Isabelle isabelle isabelle, vehicles are expensive to manage, we have seen the best performance in this area with an Acura but again, the sample size of a vehicle in a stable over time for a family You could get Acura new with all sorts of problems with old or no, or anything in between with the same go for virtually all manufacturers.
If I like a particular vehicle and can be checked by a competent person, personally, I'd give it a shot if the evaluation is returned ok.
BMW are preventive maintenance Cars If you are not as anal as engineers have done, you will have problems which they are not cars to repair when they start to have problems you want the correct before, for example, if you buy never used E36, you essentially replace all parts of the cooling system as soon as you buy it, just because.
Do you trust one or more owners who had the car all these miles have been as careful, and you keep it.



530d we had for 18 months costs 22 000 Nothing in maintenance service failed I'll grant that we beat the crap out of it, but still.
I swear BMW programmed to ask Article X requires a service, which is quite surprisingly, 800 each month.
My 2004 VW Touareg - I'm scrapping economical repair.
Wow, thats great expense on the 530d Heck, I thought that diesel engines were cheaper to run our BMW Z4 here which is a 07 was dirt cheap in the two years we have had it; new tires and two service intervals with no note I'm sure the brake pads are coming in another 10,000 km, but so far its been a dream of mirror keeping acid leakage death aside but even that was only $ 180 Heck, it's been as good as the Acura hell, Silverback, thats more maintenance than I paid for the Z4.
Certainly, the BMW is the lowest mileage vehicle in the family you just do not do a lot of miles here in Hong Kong, but my experience with it I quite satisfied with the quality given BMW, old but not high mileage Heck, even my old high mileage and hasn t Mercedes approached this experience with the 530d in 5 years, struggling is it take the car to the day of the track.



Misogynist year Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius.
I imagine owning property used BMW in Europe is quite different than in the US In the US, the only parts will be ridiculously expensive.
I own a Mercedes E320 1998 and Sá mixed bag is their boring design, so it's mostly been the same for many years part models are readily available It is common as dirt in my neighborhood, so there a lot of competition independent shops work on them it doesn t often break, but when it does, the parts are expensive.
BMW has not such a model They do does make a boring sedan, but reliable for sale in the US Everyone pushes the technology envelope in some way, they are not designed for maintainability.



As others have pointed out, there are two types of Cheap Used BMW on the market.
1 Lemons that look good that people continue to pledge to the next sucker.
2 The car that's been great for 150K miles and was absolutely loved by its owner, but it is becoming too problematic to justify its costs even if the loan has been paid for years.
There are no reliable BMW cheap opportunity in the United States, actually a pre-owned or otherwise slightly Bmw certified may not be a money pit, but it's not going to be particularly cheap, not more.
OK, thank you for the comments I'll reject the idea used BMW wagon My short list is down to a Mini Cooper Clubman new or slightly used, a VW GTI has always wanted one, a Jetta Sportwagon and slightly used 2014 or earlier with the Acura TL 6MT not a car, but my current TSX and TSX wagon my wife have both been fantastic.



From experience you can not buy a high-mileage BMW as a reliable daily driver unless you are willing to repair it yourself.
They're sweet car but have no illusions, I ride a BMW motorcycle, but if it starts never break it will cost a fortune.
The best reason I do not own one is that one of my good friends was a BMW technician, and could easily fix her himself.
If a BMW mechanic is not willing to own one, nor will I.



Friendly Neighborhood Canadiaman Ars Legatus Legionis.
From experience you can not buy a high-mileage BMW as a reliable daily driver unless you are willing to repair it yourself.
They're sweet car but have no illusions, I ride a BMW motorcycle, but if it starts never break it will cost a fortune.
The best reason I do not own one is that one of my good friends was a BMW technician, and could easily fix her himself.
If a BMW mechanic is not willing to own one, nor will I.



An old friend of my father's worked for Mercedes Benz long time, he's driving the same 911 Porch for 20 years.
2017 Cond Nast All rights reserved Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use effective March 21, 12 and Privacy Policy Effective March 21, 12 and Ars Technica Addendum effective May 17, 2012 Your California Privacy Rights The content this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Cond Nast choice ads.








Tell me about highmileage BMW s Ars Technica OpenForum, talk, technica, trolley Agreement remember.