Monday, December 4, 2017

My visit to a German scrap merchant

My first trip to Germany



I recently purchased a 1989 Peugoet 205 CTI, and while the car is in good condition, there are certain elements that need work Knowing full well that the Germans usually keep their car in good condition with recurrent TÜV inspections I sought a junkyard nearby to visit I specifically was looking for scrap metal pick-and-pull, as much as Jalops I just love walking around the large number of cars at the end of their useful life, in search of something interesting or unusual.
Unfortunately, the only pick-and-pull I found near my home was a Jan. 5 hour drive No worries, I load my tool bag in my Saab 9-5 Aero and headed north to the small town of Wonfurt where Autoteile Schuck GmbH has a 7,000 square meter lot of land where they operate an open junk yard, I loved that their website had a list of cars available to choose and shoot, as I expected was recently updated all activities is much bigger than this lot of land, and they have two warehouses full of high demand items only things with lower demand is reflected in the pick-and-pull.
Need a tail light for E36 A full leather interior for an old Benz Almunimum 10 years wheels for a VW Golf transmission for Audi A6 You won t find these items on the selection and pull the cars you see complete choice and take tend to be German cars, but there was still plenty to see.
Arriving at Schuck I find a clean, modern building, very different from junkyards where I went to Florida, California, Nevada and Alaska enter the main building, you feel you are in a regular store rooms automobiles, and well you are at the entrance of the main building, they sell parts and accessories as I sought the Bastlerplatz, which is what they call the junk yard, and literally translates the handyman space A sign on the wall says that the bags and boxes should be checked before entering the Bastlerplatz, and I asked a beautiful German girl behind the counter who would check my junk hehe looking half bored she just waved me take the metal stairs leading to an overpass in the person junk yard has checked my tools.
A junk yard, you can see it was not as an American junk yard Despite the dead cars stacked on one another, rusting under the German sun and snow, the place had a typical German way vehicles of conduct and cleanliness were organized by the origin a complete row of seats and VWS, next to a row of another row Audis had fords, had another Bimmers and Benzes on a corner you saw the French cars, on another there were other fiat Italians and Swedes occupied another row, and the last line was Japanese cars, Korean and American one Niva Lada was hidden on the Audi line, even if I thought the Fiat line would be more appropriate, given the wealth Lada engineering.



I came to the Peugeot 205S Schuck me the site said there were two field 205S, 309S and also some almost the same car I hoped score two engine mounts in good shape, a linker moving a light switch, and oil filler neck Unfortunately, 205S they had the usual small engine and 1 liter were basic econoboxes, not sporty rev-happy engine 1 6 liters on my CTI this meant most of the parts I needed would be different, but mounting motor and the headlight switch one of the 205S had an assembly engine that was still looking brand new, as it was installed a few weeks before the car was totaled and sent to the junk yard Unfortunately, none of the 205S or 309S had a light switch, it seems that this is a part that usually breaks on these cars I'll have to get one on eBay.
I prowl around the yard after receiving my motor mount, and found a Fiat Panda Seat Marbella Spanish that seemed out of place in the junk yard at all interesting enough that seat was on the VW line, even if it was made before VW owns the Spanish automaker notes the old seats junkyard manager are on the Fiat line within Marbella was very clean, outside showed wear to be a daily driver, but no rust on the purple paint the most cars in the junk yard was crushed, but it was not I imagine this car should be worth 500 euros used, and perhaps blew a gasket and was uneconomical to repair it seemed you could get a certain Italian engine of another econobox crushed, put in the seat, add wheels and car seat it was a Webasto sunroof own, I busted my intenant, I just have an old beater with a flat roof, I'll sawzall the roof and install my old Spanish roof I also had the Austrian glass-glass made Hella fog lights of that car.
I had seen the junk yard was a Lada at the site, and I wanted to check this car too, in hopes of getting a Russian quirk of the car, maybe a badge, a change button speeds, or an empty bottle of vodka It was another dead end, because it was chosen Niva own, most of the time, the most interesting pieces were taken If I had a garage to the house, I ' would have taken the cover clamshell, ride my Niva rusty hood on the wall, but I left that behind.








My visit to a German scrap merchant, visit, German, scrap.